A clogged toilet can be a nuisance for your household for many reasons. For one, it can cause an inconvenience - especially if it’s the only toilet in your house or building. It can also potentially cause damage to your house if water or sewage leaks out of the unit. When you have a blockage, act quickly and call Solaris Electric & Plumbing for clogged toilet repairs and toilet installations in Orlando, FL. A family-owned company, we provide upfront pricing!
When installing a new sink or garbage disposal in your kitchen, leave the work to professionals. Contact us to learn about our kitchen plumbing services!
How To Prevent Toilet Clogs
A clogged toilet can be both an inconvenience and a plumbing emergency if not repaired quickly. It can also lead to potential health problems if there is an overflow of sewage. To prevent these issues, follow these tips to avoid clogged toilets:
- Never flush disposable diapers or wipes.
- Don’t place large wads of toilet paper into the toilet.
- Never flush paper towels.
- Don’t place items like Q-tips or other beauty and hygiene products in the toilet.
- Avoid flushing hair trimmings or nail clippings.
- Keep a wastebasket near the toilet to remind yourself and others to throw non-flushable items there.
Professional Solutions To Clogged Toilets
When you call a professional to repair your clogged toilet, you can expect an experienced plumber to use advanced techniques to resolve the issue. Instead of just using a plunger as you might rely on, experts use tools like an auger and methods like hydro jetting.
An auger is a tool specifically designed for toilets. It consists of a hollow tube attached to an elbow fitting covered by a rubber sleeve to protect the toilet bowl from scratches. It has a flexible cable that is fed through the toilet drain with a hand crank to dislodge the clog.
A professional will insert a high-pressure hose with special nozzles into the drain with hydro jetting. The hose is connected to a machine that pressurizes the water, creating a force to dislodge the clog.
Act fast when you have an issue with your water line. Call us to learn about our main water line repairs!
Signs Your Toilet Needs To Be Replaced
Is your toilet older and starting to need frequent repairs? It can be time to replace the unit. Some signs to watch for that can indicate your unit needs to be replaced are:
- Age: If your aging unit needs a lot of replacement parts to keep it functioning, it can be more cost-effective to replace it with a new model.
- Cracks: Because most units are made of porcelain, cracks can develop in the bowl and tank cover. These might start as hairline fractures, but they can cause serious water damage to your home or building as these expand.
- Frequent clogs: Older systems might have design issues that prevent water from properly pushing through the unit with enough force. This can cause clogs to occur.
- Wear and tear: As your unit ages it can develop scratches from wear and tear. These scratches can show stains and cause dirt to cling to them, making the system more difficult to clean over time. If this happens, it can be time to replace the unit.
- Increased utility bills: Older units may use more water than newer models. If you notice an increase in your utility bills it can signal it’s time to replace the system.