For your convenience, our experienced electricians at Solaris Electric have answered some of the more frequently asked electrical questions below. If your question isn’t covered, feel free to reach out to our team or schedule service anywhere in the Orlando area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get professional insight from our industry-leading electricians in Orlando—call us today!
How does motion sensor lighting benefit me?
- Customizing your home’s electric means you’ll get to add all kinds of cool features such as dimming lights and motion sensor lighting. Once homeowners have made these additions to their home, they increase the functionality and value of their home. Here’s why you should install motion sensor lighting:
- No touch needed making it an easily accessible option for young children, disabled persons, and the elderly
- Have extra assistance navigating your home in the middle of the night
- Conserve power by automatically shutting off lighting when there’s no one in the room
- Save money on your utility bills
- Illuminate porches, hallways, and garages
- Prevent injury
- Discourage trespassers and act as an added layer of security
Why does my generator have low power flow?
- Sometimes, you may go to turn on your generator only to find it has poor power flow or little to no voltage. One common problem is that your generator has not been run in a long time. Leaving it in an idle state could cause this issue as well. Another cause could be a blown fuse. Try finding your generator’s voltage regulator. If you’re not comfortable touching the wires inside of your generator, call our professionals right away. If you’re somewhat familiar with your system take a look at it to see if you notice any pieces that look damaged or burnt out.
What to do in case of a fuel leak of my standby generator?
- There are several types of leaks you might experience with a whole home generator. You could leak coolant, fuel, or gas. Regardless of the type of leak, this is not an issue you want to leave untreated. Periodic inspection of your unit will help you identify low coolant or fuel levels that may be due to a leak. In the meantime:
- Check your heater hoses to ensure they aren’t blocked or worn out.
- Check to identify the type of leak you have. If it’s just condensation, you may not need to call a professional.
- Finally, if you’re unsure, give us a call. We can help you get to the bottom of the problem!
Why Is My Generator Leaking Gas?
- If you think your generator might be leaking gas, the first thing you should do is cut off the fuel source. Many generator issues can lead to gas leaks, including:
- Screw or bolt gaskets not properly tightened
- Damaged shutoff solenoids
- Damaged bowl gaskets
- Faulty float needles
- Cracked fuel lines
Why Does My GFCI Breaker Keep Tripping With Nothing Plugged In?
- GFCI breakers don't just trip because of faulty appliances and fixtures. Damaged electrical wiring, dirty connections, or moisture near the power lines can also cause problems. Any damage to your electrical system is a serious potential hazard, so don't hesitate to call our technicians if your GFCI breaker keeps tripping.
Generator or Battery Backup: Which Option Is Right for My Home?
- In general, generators are the better choice if your household has a higher power usage or your area is prone to prolonged outages. Battery backups have a lower energy capacity, but they're more effective at providing uninterrupted power. Most modern generators can take up to a minute to fully activate, causing your appliances and fixtures to turn off and back on again.
Why Is My Generator Surging?
- A surging generator indicates a fault in the system. The most common causes include incorrect fuel usage—like constantly low fuel levels or using the wrong type of fuel—component damage, irregular maintenance, or simply old age. If you find that your unit is constantly surging, reach out to our technicians for a proper diagnosis.
Why Is My Surge Protector Light Red or Beeping?
- A red light or constant beeping often indicates the loss of its protective capabilities, but some surge protectors might act differently. Always refer to your unit's operational manual when in doubt. If you need further assistance, our experienced technicians are always more than happy to help.
Why Does My Outlet Smell Fishy or Like Burnt Plastic?
- Modern outlets have a heat-resistant coating for added safety. When this layer comes in contact with extreme heat, it typically emits a fishy odor or burnt smell. Turn off your main power line and call our experts immediately if you notice outlet smells.
Can I Replace My Breaker Panel Without a Permit?
- Your breaker panel serves as the main distribution point for electrical circuits in your property, so any fault in this component can lead to devastating results. That’s why all breaker panel replacements require a permit to ensure that every safety protocol is met.
If you still have questions, we encourage you to contact our friendly team at Solaris Electric. Call 407-674-5770 for further assistance or to schedule service in Orlando.