Is Your Orlando Home Safe from Fire




 
Have you done your Orlando Safety Inspection yet? Did you know during these summer months 75% of our work is repairing fire damages from faulty Air conditioner and old electrical appliances.

Some electrical fires happen because of Air conditioner Failures, problems in house wiring or appliance failure, but many occur due to mistakes that homeowners make like overloading electrical outlets or extension cords.

In order to prevent yourself or someone you love from becoming an electrical fire statistic, it is important to be aware of the common causes of electrical fires.

Here are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires:

1. Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances, old AC Units. Other fires are started by faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches. Never use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord which can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire.

Running cords under rugs is another cause of electrical fires. Removing the grounding plug from a cord so it can be used in a two-prong electrical outlet can also cause a fire. The reason appliances have the extra prong is so they can be only used in outlets that can handle the extra amount of electricity that these appliances draw.

2. Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount.
Another cause of fire is placing materials like cloth or paper over a lampshade. The material heats up and ignites, causing a fire. Faulty lamps and light fixtures also frequently result in fires.

3. Misuse of extension cords is another electrical fire cause. Appliances should be plugged directly into outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for any length of time. Only use extension cords as a temporary measure. If you do not have the appropriate type of outlets for your appliances, hire an Orlando electrician to install new ones.

4. Space heaters are a major cause of electrical fires. Because these types of heaters are portable, many times people put them too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs. Coil space heaters are especially dangerous in this regard because the coils become so hot they will almost instantaneously ignite any nearby flammable surface. If you do use space heaters, use the radiator-type that diffuse heat over the entire surface of the appliance. These are less likely to ignite flammable items, but should still be kept away from them.

5. Outdated wiring causes electrical fires. If a home is over twenty years old, it may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances in today’s average home,
such as computers, wide screen televisions, DVD players, microwaves and air conditioners.

Breakers should be triggered when circuits get overloaded by too much electricity, but outdated breaker boxes over 10 years old often have worn connectors that do not work, causing the system to overload and start an electrical fire.

 

Articles:

http://articles.Orlandosentinel.com/2010-12-08/news/os-barefoot-bay-house-fire-20101208_1_mobile-home-electrical-fire-minor-smoke-inhalation

http://articles.Orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-20/news/os-st-cloud-fire-death-20130720_1_cloud-woman-state-fire-marshal-smoke-and-fire